Love versus Love

Love versus Love

[ I wrote this back when i was a teenager. One views the world quite differently back then. It was a good theme nevertheless, even though it seems trivial now. But teenage hormones are rdiculously strong :) Hope you enjoy it and it changes you, even if a bit]


The cool air brushed his hair as he walked through street 17. Saad was alone. His best friend, Tahir, wasn’t with him tonight as his paternal relatives were invited at his place on dinner.

He was about to turn the corner towards the fields, when he heard the door of his friend’s house open. Although it was a moonless night, the light emanating from the windows enabled Saad to recognize the silhouette of a girl coming out of the house. He was about to turn away when, to his astonishment, came out another figure that Saad could not mistake. Tahir, a tall boy in his late teens, wearing a shining kurta shalwar and supporting a young beard, walked the length of his house and turned into the shadows beside the trees. Saad was sure he saw the reflection of confusion in his friend’s face. Rooted on the spot, Saad was trying to make up his mind whether to follow his friend or to leave him to his matters. A fraction of a second later, he too vanished into the bushes.

It was a shock for Saad to see his friend following a girl. The Tahir he knew was a very pious person. Saad had always been quite impressed by his actions and thoughts… at least until now. He had to find out. There was definitely something wrong about it.

A few steps into the bushes, he heard two voices talking. They seemed sad, but deep in debate. One of them, the voice of a girl, seemed offensive, but his friend’s voice barely reached his ears, leave alone being comprehensible. He moved a little closer. In a small clearing bordered by the trees, the girl was standing with her arms folded and eyes frowning, talking to Tahir as though scolding him. Tahir was looking the other way, with his eyes unfocused, his expression unfathomable.

“Why, Tahir, why?” the girl pleaded, “Why do you want us to split up now? We've been friends for so long ... enjoying small games and trips together, having discussions for hours about novels and computer games and… whatever else! How can you say this?”

Tahir heaved a sigh. “I’ve already explained this to you in my e-mail, I can’t befriend you anymore.” Tahir paused. “Ah yes! I have also enjoyed good days with you. You have been my best friend. But, we can’t see each other anymore. If we want to ---!”

She turned to face him in anger. “What do you mean? You can’t befriend me anymore?” she asked, her voice rising. “Are you tired of me as your friend? Or have you found some other girl who is better-looking than I?” She hit the ground hard with her foot.

Tahir frowned. “You know me, Sana. How can you ever think I’d leave you to go for someone else?” his voice still calm, “you've been a great friend, a great companion. But, as I have explained; we are nearly of age, and if we must pave our way to achieve Allah’s Favor, then we must stop meeting.”

“You talk of Allah’s Favor; while He wants love and peace to prevail in this world, doesn’t He?” Her voice was now becoming hysterical. “If it is obligatory to love all human beings, what is wrong with two young people loving each other?”

“You misunderstand the concept.” Tahir replied in his calm & deep voice. “We are to love all, not for our personal desires, but to promote other’s favors, to give all their rights, to do what’s better for them.”

“Then do you think my friendship is not good for you,” she said sobbing, “that it might spoil your reputation or something?”

“It is not I who thinks that our friendship is wrong, but the teachings of Islam say so. A man and a woman who aren’t close relatives may talk only as much as needed,” Tahir narrated, “free chatting isn’t allowed. If Allah and His Prophet (Sallallahu alaihi wasallam) think it’s wrong, who am I or you to negate it.”

Sana opened her mouth, and then closed it. She had tears rolling down her face now, but she held herself together and pulling herself to her full height (she was nearly the height of Tahir, too), she said in a steady voice, “Tahir, look at me!”

“What ... Why?” he said.

“Just look at me for this last time.” She said as though scolding. “I know you've been avoiding looking at me for the few past months. I ask you this for one last time, Tahir: look into my eyes!”

Tahir consented as though melting at the sound of his name from her.

Do – you – love – me – or – not?” She said it in a clear voice, separating each word emphatically.

Tahir closed his eyes, his head hung a little. “Yes, I do Sana,” a tear trickled down his face, too, “but the fact still remains that I love Allah more.” Tahir turned away from her. “Pave your way towards His favor, and may we meet together in Heaven.” He left the clearing.

Sana was sobbing. She looked as though wanting to call him back. But, instead, she cleared her eyes, and followed him back to his house.

۞۞۞۞۞۞۞۞۞۞۞۞۞۞۞۞۞۞۞۞۞۞

As the sun sank lower behind the mountains the next evening, two boys sat at ease in the corner of the fields, the wind fondling their faces. Tahir sat with his arms around his knees, his eyes following a faraway soaring eagle. Saad was looking sideways towards his friend, his face anxious.

 “I’m sorry to have spied on you like that,” Saad said apologetically, while they enjoyed a breezy evening at the corner of the fields, “but I can’t have stopped myself. It looked too… fishy!”

There was a short silence. “Yeah ... it’s okay.” Tahir said heavily.

Wondering whether he should press the matter or not, Saad asked hesitatingly, “So, is this the fact that has been troubling you for the past six months?” Tahir looked up in surprise. “I have been noticing it, you know.” Saad added.

“Yes, it is.” Tahir said after a while, smiling. “I didn’t want you to know. But I guess I should’ve told you. You are after all a great friend, too.”

“Did you really love her or you…?”

Tahir’s eyes flashed, but he recoiled instantaneously. When he spoke, it was again his usual calm voice, “I think I do… or maybe it is just a teenager’s crush.” Tahir shrugged. “But it’s driving me mad anyway.” Saad gave a shaky laugh.

“Did she ... um ... say anything else to you, after getting home?” Saad asked, desperate to hear the ending of his friend’s troubled story.

Tahir heaved a sigh, took out his mobile, pressed some buttons and handed it to Saad. “Just do me a favor;” Tahir said, “don’t tell anybody about this little expedition of yours… or about the storms that have been raging in my heart, ok?”

Saad nodded and looked down upon the mobile. It was an SMS from Sana that read: “It might take me sum time 2 undrstand ur reasoning, Tahir. Bt, plz, always remmbr: U shal alwys hve a place in my hart. I love you too, Tahir.”

Saad looked at his friend. He was flat on his back upon the grass, tears trickling down his cheeks (this was hitherto the only time Saad had seen him cry), as he recited under his breath:

(Translation):
“Yet of mankind are some who take unto themselves (objects of worship which they set as) rivals to Allah, loving them with a love like (that which is the due) of Allah (only) – those who believe are stauncher in their love for Allah – Oh, that those who do evil had but known, (on the day) when they behold the doom that power belongeth wholly to Allah, and that Allah is severe in punishment.”
(Al-Baqarah: 164)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Deceptions

Poem: Beauty of the Dark

Another Half an Hour